Alumni raise over $32,000 for annual 24-hour Meeker Challenge event
Recent graduates raised $32,590.38 on Tuesday for DePauw University's annual fund at the Meeker Challenge.
The Meeker Challenge was a 24-hour event in which alumni could donate money online to their alma mater. Lis Meeker ‘78 organized the event, challenging DePauw's Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD) to donate funds to help educate students.
Tuition funds only half of the cost of educating one DePauw student, according to those seeking gifts.. The other half is largely generated by alumni giving. Donations made to the Meeker Challenge go directly into the annual fund.
Advertising for the event began in the beginning of February through emails, Facebook and Twitter to get the word out to alumni in hopes of getting the best results.
The day of the challenge the magnitude of activity happening on Facebook and Twitter was important to the fundraising.
Kyle Kerrigan, assistant director of annual giving and staff liaison to the Graduates of the Last Decade, was very impressed with how the whole event went.
"I was amazed at the conversations and dialogue that was happening on Twitter," Kerrigan said. "The sheer volume [of the challenge] was incredible."
The challenge was truly a 24-hour event with the first donation being made at 12:10 a.m. Feb. 29 and the last donation being made at 11:54 p.m.
Kate Shipley ‘11 was the first alumni to give a donation to The Meeker challenge.
Mike Stanek, class of 2006, participated in the Meeker challenge and thought it was a smart way to involve young alumni to give back.
"I think it was a great idea," Stanek said. "The Meeker challenge targeted young alumni and a lot of the time its hard for the university to engage the alumni who are starting new careers, making new families and moving to new places. This was a great way to bring back young alums to get involved with DePauw University."
The total amount of money alumni gave was through 577 separate gifts.
The challenge began with 20,000 dollars donated by Lis Meeker while alumni donated 12,590.38 on their end.
There were a total of 866 donors from classes 2002-2011. Class of 2006 had the most donors having 119 alumni donating. The class of 2008 had the most amounts of new donors having 65 first time donors.
Kerrigan was very pleased with the results.
"The office was a buzz," Kerrigan said. "Everybody was screaming and smiling. Everyone was so thrilled. Everyone was ecstatic to see that in one day."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thedepauw News Articles
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- E-edition of the eighth issue of the 163rd volume of The DePauw
- OPINION: Dengue fever and the Shibuya Apple Store
- $2 million in re-allocation cuts, construction seen as ‘lack of respect’...
- DePauw first-years learn bystander intervention
- New initiative reaches DePauw University music school
- OPINION: The Ebola outbreak in Western Africa and the ethical implications of...
- OPINION: The Hub and why people need to stop talking about it
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses