Artists to Know: February Edition
Jim Easterhouse. Isabelle Chapman / The DePauw
A new year, a new semester, a blank slate. All of these reign with the notion of starting fresh and maintaining that freshness for as as long as we mentally can. One way to do so is to continually add artists and songs to your musical palette. It's not easy to get through the daily grind of life-quenching lectures and blooming piles of books without a new tune to camp out in your noggin for a while. Invite a wide variety of artists and genres to make way for this semester, such as these described below. From garage rock anthems to soul-swerving synths, start your semester off fresh with these artists.
Tame Impala- This pack of Aussies has enlightened my ears with a revived sense of classic psychedelic rock. Formed in 2007, the band released their first studio album "Innerspeaker" in 2010. Their most recent record, "Lonerism", has propelled them into constant conversations of rock lovers. NME rated the record as the "#1 Album of 2012" in their year round-up. Many have aligned their sprouting success to lead singer Kevin Parker's vocal similarity to, none other than, John Lennon. The psychedelic pack isn't quite what the Beatles turned out to be, but still offers a very peaceful, floating feeling from track to track.
Baauer- As trap continues to become a more popular genre, so does Baauer. The Brooklyn based DJ has a devoted following due to hits such as "Harlem Shake" and "Rollup(Remix)". Baauer utilizes trap tendencies such as looping vocal samples with elaborate synths in countless jams. He has been known to compliment his synths with unique samples of coughing, high-pitched bells and, of course, captivating bass. Touring with rapper Just Blaze has enhanced samples and made for more of an interactive experience with an already responsive crowd.
Grimes- Being multitalented and being able to multitask aren't always quite as synonymous as one might assume. When it comes to Claire Boucher though, the two go together like bread and butter. The 24-year-old Canadian, who goes by Grimes on stage, is quickly becoming concrete on the indie electronica scene. Grimes performs by herself on stage due to her exceptional ability to loop while maneuvering elaborate synths. Her keyboard incorporation gives a great sense of indie electronica while maintaining an experimental base. Tracks such as "Oblivion" and "Genesis" supply an out-of-body wave feel while trapping a basic tune in your noggin all day long.
These three undoubtedly make the top of my recent playlist, but they don't limit my list. Plenty of other up-and-coming bands and artists have been making a name for themselves on the indie circuit. Alt-J, most notably, has found their way in the hearts of music lovers everywhere due to their cluster of alternative sounds, ranging from deep bass to light symbol work. Their debut album, "An Awesome Wave", works as a true album compilation, sequencing smoothly throughout its entire duration. "Tessellate," "Something Good" and "Breezeblocks" highlight the record, but don't take away from a thoroughly enjoyable album in total. Keep on the lookout for updates from each of these artists in order to keep on par with their unreal, instrumental advancements.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The DePauw News Articles
Recent The DePauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DEPAUW NEWS
- LETTER: D3TV and The Source on social issues
- Volume 163, Issue 24
- Cheers, tears and jeers: Fall 2014
- DePauw University flower-ins to change due to Title IX
- Peeler Art Center hosts student performance
- DePauw Student Government passes 11 pieces of legislation this semester
- DePauw University nature park hosts first annual Reindeer Run/Walk 5K
RECENT THE DEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists