Artists to Know: February Edition
Jim Easterhouse. Isabelle Chapman / The DePauw
A new year, a new semester, a blank slate. All of these reign with the notion of starting fresh and maintaining that freshness for as as long as we mentally can. One way to do so is to continually add artists and songs to your musical palette. It's not easy to get through the daily grind of life-quenching lectures and blooming piles of books without a new tune to camp out in your noggin for a while. Invite a wide variety of artists and genres to make way for this semester, such as these described below. From garage rock anthems to soul-swerving synths, start your semester off fresh with these artists.
Tame Impala- This pack of Aussies has enlightened my ears with a revived sense of classic psychedelic rock. Formed in 2007, the band released their first studio album "Innerspeaker" in 2010. Their most recent record, "Lonerism", has propelled them into constant conversations of rock lovers. NME rated the record as the "#1 Album of 2012" in their year round-up. Many have aligned their sprouting success to lead singer Kevin Parker's vocal similarity to, none other than, John Lennon. The psychedelic pack isn't quite what the Beatles turned out to be, but still offers a very peaceful, floating feeling from track to track.
Baauer- As trap continues to become a more popular genre, so does Baauer. The Brooklyn based DJ has a devoted following due to hits such as "Harlem Shake" and "Rollup(Remix)". Baauer utilizes trap tendencies such as looping vocal samples with elaborate synths in countless jams. He has been known to compliment his synths with unique samples of coughing, high-pitched bells and, of course, captivating bass. Touring with rapper Just Blaze has enhanced samples and made for more of an interactive experience with an already responsive crowd.
Grimes- Being multitalented and being able to multitask aren't always quite as synonymous as one might assume. When it comes to Claire Boucher though, the two go together like bread and butter. The 24-year-old Canadian, who goes by Grimes on stage, is quickly becoming concrete on the indie electronica scene. Grimes performs by herself on stage due to her exceptional ability to loop while maneuvering elaborate synths. Her keyboard incorporation gives a great sense of indie electronica while maintaining an experimental base. Tracks such as "Oblivion" and "Genesis" supply an out-of-body wave feel while trapping a basic tune in your noggin all day long.
These three undoubtedly make the top of my recent playlist, but they don't limit my list. Plenty of other up-and-coming bands and artists have been making a name for themselves on the indie circuit. Alt-J, most notably, has found their way in the hearts of music lovers everywhere due to their cluster of alternative sounds, ranging from deep bass to light symbol work. Their debut album, "An Awesome Wave", works as a true album compilation, sequencing smoothly throughout its entire duration. "Tessellate," "Something Good" and "Breezeblocks" highlight the record, but don't take away from a thoroughly enjoyable album in total. Keep on the lookout for updates from each of these artists in order to keep on par with their unreal, instrumental advancements.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
From Around the Web
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Volume 163, Issue 46
- Keg comeback—campus weighing options as semester caps
- Ashton Johnson wins 92nd Walker Cup
- OPINION: Nepal earthquake - The necessity of impact reduction
- Colts quarterback Andrew Luck passes advice during semester's last Ubben
- University of Virginia’s Jesse Matthews case sheds light on transcripts...
- EDITORIAL: Obama abandons anger translator when it comes to climate change
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Bee Safe While Gardening to Protect Pollinators
- Military Seeks Better Alternatives for Treating Pain...
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!