Putnam County Museum creates exhibit to unite community
Photographs of barn animals, landscapes and abstract subject matter will soon color the walls of the Putnam County Museum, illustrating the life stories of eight Greencastle community members.
This Saturday, the Putnam County Museum exhibition, "Through the Lens: A Look at Greencastle" will open. The exhibition, an annual event that began last year, is a way to unite community members through photographs of familiar surroundings and personal memories.
Caroline Murphy, a 2011 DePauw graduate, created this exhibition as part of her Honor Scholar thesis project to merge the community together through photography.
Last year, the exhibit garnered a lot of interest from both DePauw students and Greencastle residents.
The photography exhibition will feature five photographs taken by each of the eight community members who were chosen to take photographs of their lives and their homes.
All the photographs will illustrate the eight photographers' different lives and the interconnectedness that a small community inspires.
From students taking pictures throughout campus to one man only taking pictures of his home the photographs will display a wide range of diversity.
This year the participants include two DePauw University students, one local high school student, and five community members.
Junior Amanda Faulkenberg, an intern at the Putnam County Museum, was chosen to participate in this unique opportunity. She expresses that the opportunity to be a part of the exhibition added greater diversity to her experience at DePauw.
"I'm a Bonner Scholar and I'm out in the community working every week, but this gave me more opportunity to see where I live. I'm here for four years after all," Faulkenberg said. "I also got to meet several wonderful people who I wouldn't have met if I didn't have this opportunity to be thrown together with them. Getting to know the community was great."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thedepauw News Articles
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Volume 163, Issue 38
- Evolutions to Wellness Center aimed to create new culture
- ShotSpotter: An advanced shot at crime prevention
- Small classes provide students distinct advantages
- Exemplary Teacher Award winner: Alicia Suarez
- Incident at University of Oklahoma Sigma Alpha Epsilon sparks reaction at...
- Men's lacrosse still searching for first NCAC win after loss to Kenyon
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...