Putnam County Museum creates exhibit to unite community
Photographs of barn animals, landscapes and abstract subject matter will soon color the walls of the Putnam County Museum, illustrating the life stories of eight Greencastle community members.
This Saturday, the Putnam County Museum exhibition, "Through the Lens: A Look at Greencastle" will open. The exhibition, an annual event that began last year, is a way to unite community members through photographs of familiar surroundings and personal memories.
Caroline Murphy, a 2011 DePauw graduate, created this exhibition as part of her Honor Scholar thesis project to merge the community together through photography.
Last year, the exhibit garnered a lot of interest from both DePauw students and Greencastle residents.
The photography exhibition will feature five photographs taken by each of the eight community members who were chosen to take photographs of their lives and their homes.
All the photographs will illustrate the eight photographers' different lives and the interconnectedness that a small community inspires.
From students taking pictures throughout campus to one man only taking pictures of his home the photographs will display a wide range of diversity.
This year the participants include two DePauw University students, one local high school student, and five community members.
Junior Amanda Faulkenberg, an intern at the Putnam County Museum, was chosen to participate in this unique opportunity. She expresses that the opportunity to be a part of the exhibition added greater diversity to her experience at DePauw.
"I'm a Bonner Scholar and I'm out in the community working every week, but this gave me more opportunity to see where I live. I'm here for four years after all," Faulkenberg said. "I also got to meet several wonderful people who I wouldn't have met if I didn't have this opportunity to be thrown together with them. Getting to know the community was great."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The DePauw News Articles
Recent The DePauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DEPAUW NEWS
- E-Edition of the third issue of the 163rd volume of The DePauw
- Editorial: Is there an answer in Ferguson?
- New intercultural program encourages dialogue among first-years
- New programming hits Prindle Institute for Ethics
- Tigers split pair of games at Ohio Northern University Invitational
- OPINION: Construction takes over DePauw University
- Tigers blanked by Birmingham-Southern and Ohio Northern
RECENT THE DEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care