Putnam County Museum creates exhibit to unite community
Photographs of barn animals, landscapes and abstract subject matter will soon color the walls of the Putnam County Museum, illustrating the life stories of eight Greencastle community members.
This Saturday, the Putnam County Museum exhibition, "Through the Lens: A Look at Greencastle" will open. The exhibition, an annual event that began last year, is a way to unite community members through photographs of familiar surroundings and personal memories.
Caroline Murphy, a 2011 DePauw graduate, created this exhibition as part of her Honor Scholar thesis project to merge the community together through photography.
Last year, the exhibit garnered a lot of interest from both DePauw students and Greencastle residents.
The photography exhibition will feature five photographs taken by each of the eight community members who were chosen to take photographs of their lives and their homes.
All the photographs will illustrate the eight photographers' different lives and the interconnectedness that a small community inspires.
From students taking pictures throughout campus to one man only taking pictures of his home the photographs will display a wide range of diversity.
This year the participants include two DePauw University students, one local high school student, and five community members.
Junior Amanda Faulkenberg, an intern at the Putnam County Museum, was chosen to participate in this unique opportunity. She expresses that the opportunity to be a part of the exhibition added greater diversity to her experience at DePauw.
"I'm a Bonner Scholar and I'm out in the community working every week, but this gave me more opportunity to see where I live. I'm here for four years after all," Faulkenberg said. "I also got to meet several wonderful people who I wouldn't have met if I didn't have this opportunity to be thrown together with them. Getting to know the community was great."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Softball's perfect conference record shattered
- OPINION: From The Prindle Post:
- OPINION: What's Next?
- OPINION: “Are you a student here?
- Sigma Chi becomes first DePauw fraternity to complete Green Dot training
- EDITORIAL: Cheers, tears and jeers to the 2015-2016 school year
- Delta Upsilon and Alpha Phi once again sweep competition during a rainy...
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE