Scoring drought brings second straight tie
Sophomore Andy Morrison takes control of the ball against a Hanover College defender Wednesday evening at Boswell Field. MEG CROWLEY/THE DEPAUW
If the goal was two inches wider, the result would have been different.
Two inches was the difference between almost scoring twice and not scoring at all.
The DePauw men's soccer team remains undefeated, but Wednesday night the team was unable to find the edge over Hanover College. In a dominating performance, the Tigers (4-0-2) tied Hanover (1-2-2) 0-0. DePauw had a strong offensive performance with many scoring chances, but was unable to put one away. Head coach Brad Hauter was frustrated about the tie, but was able to recognize what the team did well.
"It was rough. There were a lot positive things to take from it, we controlled play, we created opportunities, and we had 26 shots with about half of those coming from dangerous places on the field," Hauter said. "There were a lot of positives that when you sit back and look at it from a wide range, you can say 'good job.'"
Despite the 26 shots and many scoring opportunities, including a pair of shots from sophomore Andy Morrison hitting the goalpost, the Tigers were unable to find the back of the net.
"It just wasn't our night," Hauter said. "There wasn't one element that went wrong. It just didn't go our way."
The defense remained strong just as they have throughout this season. The team has now logged 598:57 minutes of not allowing a goal, with five straight shut outs. Senior goalkeeper Tony Halterman was credited with his fourth shutout of the season.
The Tigers open conference play in the North Coast Athletic Conference on Saturday against Denison University. The team is going into conference play unbeaten, but coming off of two ties. Hauter said he is looking forward to this weekend.
"Denison will play a very different style than we have seen in the last four games," Hauter said. "They are going to come at us, open the field up and play. I am excited to kick off this second part of the season in conference play. I am very excited to see how these guys measure up against the rest of the NCAC."
The Tigers, now in their second year in the NCAC, are looking to defend last year's conference championship. Kickoff against Denison is 2:30 p.m. from Boswell Field on Saturday and will be broadcasted live on 91.5 WGRE.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thedepauw News Articles
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Mold Causes Concern in Hogate Hall
- E-edition of the seventh issue of the 163rd volume of The DePauw
- EDITORIAL: Gone but not forgotten: Learning to remember 9/11
- DePauw University recognized by The New York Times as
- Lack of offense bites women's soccer again
- OPINION: Simple ways to beat boredom
- OPINION: Our progression with philosophical implications
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership