Music's biggest night fails to live up to its name
Anastasia Way. Sunny Strader / The DePauw
This past Sunday for the first time ever, I watched the red carpet and Grammy Awards and was reminded why it's not something I will probably do again. My friends and I sat cross-legged around their Rector apartment and tried to look like we were doing homework while watching the ceremony.
I succumbed to the peer pressure to watch it live because everyone else was (good reason as always) and I was tempted by the talk of outrageous outfits from years past. As someone who usually reads about awards ceremonies the next day and has a dedicated alternative rock music collection, here is my very disheartened recap of everything you didn't miss:
We had turned it on just in time to see Taylor Swift on the red carpet somewhat foolishly show off her manicure when a host asked her to walk her fingers down a miniature red carpet box for the show's "Mani Cam." It made me feel dumb to watch it. I guess the producers had to find something new to do.
Then out came J.Lo, whose propped leg was giving the middle finger to Angelina Jolie's leg, and quite well I'll admit.
And that's where I blank. Nothing else really happened. My friends and I got really excited when Ellen DeGeneres and BeyoncÃ© had this super mysterious introduction about how great the next performer was going to be, and then Justin Timberlake came out. Lame sauce. In context though, this was a considerable let down after we were sure Prince was going to grace us with his beautiful weirdness. He did eventually, but by that point, we had lost interest. Nothing will beat Jay-Z and Kanye's performance of "Otis" that they did last year, which my friend showed me on YouTube so I could compare it to J.T.'s.
What followed was an assorted calamity of bad jokes, fake acceptance speeches and mediocre to downright terrible performances (I'm looking at you, Frank Ocean). It was bad enough that I accidentally missed Mumford and Sons perform, though I was happy to hear that they won album of the year and that The Black Keys received best rock in that category. Cool. Too bad I was bored by everything else to realize that any of them were on stage. Rihanna nailed all three of her performances, but Fun. was anything but and rained on the Grammy parade early on.
And in case anyone was wondering, CBS issued an uber lame dress code in early February that prohibited too adventurous or revealing outfits. Thus, Adele's carpet bag dress that made her look like my dead grandma's sofa was the most exciting costume. I tuned in because I wanted to see the weird and bizarre, not a televised Vogue magazine.
Overall, there was a heavy sense of regret at the opportunity cost we paid to watch the 2013 Grammys instead of doing pretty much anything besides that. If you're into the people watching and the interaction of too many strong personalities, you probably would have found it interesting. Looks like I'll be reading the results online from now on. Also, who the hell is Miguel?
- Way is a senior from Long Grove, Ill. majoring in English writing and communication. *Way's opinions do not reflect the views of The DePauw's editorial board.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- E-edition of the 15th issue of The DePauw
- EDITORIAL: Elimination of sexual assault requires entire community
- Clery statistics show increase in drug and alcohol citations, includes new...
- Prindle Institute collaborates with School of Music for dinner discussion
- OPINION: The post-fall break phenomenon
- Professor of the Week: Art history professor Pauline Ota
- OPINION: Aspire to be better - the story of Moise Brutus
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”