Indiana Attorney General visits to promote new state Lifeline Law
Attorney General Greg Zoeller listens to Indiana State Senator Jim Merritt in the Union Building ballroom during Wednesday's press conference, which promoted the Lifeline Law. ASHLEY ISAAC / THE DEPAUW
Attorney General Greg Zoeller and Indiana State Senator Jim Merritt came to DePauw Wednesday to get the word out about the State Enrolled Act 274, better known as the Lifeline Law. Passed last July, the law ensures immunity for those who seek help for alcohol-related medical issues for their peers.
"It's our duty to inform and to educate, and that's why the Attorney General and I are criss-crossing Indiana to talk about the Lifeline Law," Merritt said.
Zoeller and Merritt are touring high school and college campuses to ensure that students know about this law and what it means for them.
"In Indiana government, we do a pretty good job of passing good legislation," Merritt said. "It's getting the word out to the masses. ... that these laws actually exist, that is the problem."
As a student initiated bill, more student leadership is encouraged in ensuring those under the age of 21 understand what this law means for them.
"Student leadership really can make a difference, and this is a great example of it," Zoeller said.
"Now that we've passed this statute, our point in coming back is to talk about the continued need for student leadership in getting the word out," he added.
However, Merritt warns against thinking of this law as a "free pass" for underage drinking. He said the law does not "endorse" underage drinking.
"We do not want to incentivize underage consumption of alcohol, and with this situation, it is not that, but it actually acknowledges the drinking of alcohol by the underage," Merritt said. "We want them to call 911 and know that there might be questions asked, but there will be immunity for the friends if they stay with the ill person."
Merritt added: "The bottom line is they won't get in trouble."
And it seems that many agree this law is positive. The bill received zero opposing votes during its pathway through Indiana legislation.
And the Lifeline Law has also received overwhelming support on DePauw's campus. Director of Public Safety, Angie Nally, agrees with the law wholeheartedly.
"DePauw practices immunity for students both in the criminals courts and in our internal judicial system if they call for help for someone else," Nally said.
Nally also trusts that students are well aware of this long-standing DePauw policy now turned state law.
"We've had many occasions where students have called and asked for someone to go and check on the welfare of their friends, and fortunately, we have not had a situation where that has not worked in our favor."
Zoeller said he believes this law reaches to the heart of not just a legislative issue, but also a moral issue.
"There should be an education among your friends and your peers to know more about the statute, but also to just support always doing the right thing."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thedepauw News Articles
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- E-edition of the 15th issue of The DePauw
- EDITORIAL: Elimination of sexual assault requires entire community
- Clery statistics show increase in drug and alcohol citations, includes new...
- Prindle Institute collaborates with School of Music for dinner discussion
- OPINION: The post-fall break phenomenon
- Professor of the Week: Art history professor Pauline Ota
- OPINION: Aspire to be better - the story of Moise Brutus
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR