These are a few of my favorite things: distracting websites
Condescending Wonka, inbread cats, the beautiful marathoner, memes, rage comics and gifs, they are all like a car crash - I can't look away.
All of these can be found on Tumblr, where work ethic goes to die and procrastination thrives. This community of bloggers will suck you in and keep you from writing that 10-page paper due tomorrow before you have time to write the heading.
The latest craze that has kept me from my homework and even writing this column is breaded cats, or in-bread cats. One simply takes a piece of bread, makes a hole in it, places it over a cat's face and takes a picture of the cat. It might be one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
The look on the cat's face is priceless and the fact that a cat will sit for the picture is amazing to me.
I am a die-hard dog person but something about looking at a cat staring deeply into the camera with pure hatred in its eyes as a piece of wonder bread frames its face is so funny I end up gasping for air as I wipe tears out of my eyes.
This odd pass time has gone further than just the website to an episode of South Park. And it's not just bread, people have gotten creative and branched out to tortillas, which is somehow even funnier.
Pointless, weird humor continues with condescending Wonka. Someone, a brilliant being, took a picture of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka from the movie and added condescending remarks. It is a picture directly out of the movie "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," with his brown top hat, bright purple blazer and obnoxious bow tie. It is hard not to hear each word in his voice.
A few gems are, "Oh, you have 500 Twitter followers ... you must be a celebrity," or "Oh, you smoked a cigarette ... you must be a rebel." It is one of those moments where everyone is thinking it, but Wonka says it.
"How do I put this gently" and "#whatshouldwecallme" are two blogs separate from the Tumblr community that have caught fire and made their way to Facebook. It is a collection of gifs, or as I called them for a year "moving picture things," and funny titles.
Most of them come from well-known movies or TV shows, the titles the blogger places on them are funny and relatable. For a week after if was first discovered different gifs flooded my newsfeed on Facebook, but each time I couldn't help but chuckle, especially when it was a gif from Jersey Shore - those are the best.
The beautiful marathoner is one that I find not funny, but just odd. A man was running a marathon and someone snapped a picture of him but instead of looking tired and thirsty like everyone around him he looks like he could be in an ad for Nike.
Again, someone very clever struck again and placed funny text about how great this man's life must be. Part of me wonders if this man knows so many people look at his picture every day and how he feels about it. It isn't shabby being known as the beautiful marathoner meme guy, though.
This is some of the stupidest humor that I have ever come across, but it is relatable and t helps relieve the stressors. They keep me from going crazy as the end of the semester nears and work begins to pile up. So although it is childlike at times it might be my favorite thing on the information highway.
- Cangany is a sophomore from Indianapolis majoring in communications and English writing. She is the opinion editor for The DePauw.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The DePauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DEPAUW NEWS
- David Brooks to speak during Old Gold weekend
- Carol Steele retires, leaves her mark on campus
- Seniors: What will you miss?
- Lana Del Rey returns to the U.S. with new single
- Kappa Alpha Theta and Delta Upsilon win Little 5 criterium races
- Kaku surprises minds of DePauw and community members
- DePauw baseball and softball find success in NCAC postseason
RECENT THE DEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit