Speaker programs should bring current decision makers to campus
The vacuous speech of Dr. Ron Paul arose from the institutionalization of professional speakers and endowed speakers' programs.
An endowed speakers' program is required to invest in speakers every year regardless of whether an appropriate speaker is available. The number of popular speakers, whose names automatically attract audiences, is limited, probably less than 10,000 world wide, and most are represented by speakers' bureaus which perform the hard labor of making a match.
The majority of popular and available speakers are "former" this and that. Few, if any, are current decision makers. For example, Paul gained his following by declaring Libertarian values, by serving in Congress, and by running for President. He did not become famous for achievement. He never held leadership positions in The House, was not elected President, and did not serve as an administrator as does a governor, mayor, or cabinet appointee. In The House, he had one vote. So, I think, it is fair to say he never had direct responsibility for any policy or decision, and his name is not associated with any successful legislation. Perhaps the best adjective to describe him is curmudgeon.
I prefer that endowed speakers' program assets are spent for persons either recently having had a responsible position, or who currently are working on a program or cause. In other words: someone now on the firing line.
A sports metaphor makes my point. Rafael Nadal or Gabrielle Douglas are more attractive contemporary speakers than Michael Jordan or Mary Lou Retton.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Peace of Mind in Retirement
- Florida Remains Launch Pad to Space Thanks to Private Firms
- 9 out of 10 Americans More Likely to Come to London...
- Meeting the Health Care Needs of Next-Generation Consumers
- Katy Perry Helps Support Teachers and Students
- The Great Divide: Balancing Travel and Protecting...
- What Would It Take to Get You to the Dentist?
- Say Cheese! How What You Eat Affects Your Smile
- Headed to the Dentist? Beware of Backflow
- Student Backpacks Are Literally a Big Pain