Speaker programs should bring current decision makers to campus
The vacuous speech of Dr. Ron Paul arose from the institutionalization of professional speakers and endowed speakers' programs.
An endowed speakers' program is required to invest in speakers every year regardless of whether an appropriate speaker is available. The number of popular speakers, whose names automatically attract audiences, is limited, probably less than 10,000 world wide, and most are represented by speakers' bureaus which perform the hard labor of making a match.
The majority of popular and available speakers are "former" this and that. Few, if any, are current decision makers. For example, Paul gained his following by declaring Libertarian values, by serving in Congress, and by running for President. He did not become famous for achievement. He never held leadership positions in The House, was not elected President, and did not serve as an administrator as does a governor, mayor, or cabinet appointee. In The House, he had one vote. So, I think, it is fair to say he never had direct responsibility for any policy or decision, and his name is not associated with any successful legislation. Perhaps the best adjective to describe him is curmudgeon.
I prefer that endowed speakers' program assets are spent for persons either recently having had a responsible position, or who currently are working on a program or cause. In other words: someone now on the firing line.
A sports metaphor makes my point. Rafael Nadal or Gabrielle Douglas are more attractive contemporary speakers than Michael Jordan or Mary Lou Retton.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thedepauw News Articles
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- The e-editon of the 11th issue of the 163rd volume of The DePauw
- EDITORIAL: Yik Yak: the good, the bad and the icky
- Ferguson panel promotes discussion on racial awareness
- Professor of the Week: Joseph Weaver
- DePauw students listen to John Green and Mindy Kaling at internet marketing...
- South quad signs recovered
- DePauw University Tigers get first shutout since 2009
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections