Speaker programs should bring current decision makers to campus
The vacuous speech of Dr. Ron Paul arose from the institutionalization of professional speakers and endowed speakers' programs.
An endowed speakers' program is required to invest in speakers every year regardless of whether an appropriate speaker is available. The number of popular speakers, whose names automatically attract audiences, is limited, probably less than 10,000 world wide, and most are represented by speakers' bureaus which perform the hard labor of making a match.
The majority of popular and available speakers are "former" this and that. Few, if any, are current decision makers. For example, Paul gained his following by declaring Libertarian values, by serving in Congress, and by running for President. He did not become famous for achievement. He never held leadership positions in The House, was not elected President, and did not serve as an administrator as does a governor, mayor, or cabinet appointee. In The House, he had one vote. So, I think, it is fair to say he never had direct responsibility for any policy or decision, and his name is not associated with any successful legislation. Perhaps the best adjective to describe him is curmudgeon.
I prefer that endowed speakers' program assets are spent for persons either recently having had a responsible position, or who currently are working on a program or cause. In other words: someone now on the firing line.
A sports metaphor makes my point. Rafael Nadal or Gabrielle Douglas are more attractive contemporary speakers than Michael Jordan or Mary Lou Retton.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Students Dance Their Way to $60K
- Beloved professor passed away
- EDITORIAL: Opinions section to be productive, not vindictive
- OPINION: 9:15 p.m. Friday, November 13
- For the love of Endurocross
- School of Music faculty acknowledge student concerns of mental health
- DePauw Health Services offers Eating Disorder Screening
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind