DePauw switches from Sodexo to Bon Appetit
Dining services announced that DePauw will switch from Sodexo to Bon Appetit as the dining service partner in an email to the DePauw community on March 21. The switch will take effect July 1.
The university began the search for a new company in October and formed the Dining Service Committee, a group of students, staff and administrators. The committee began work after DePauw's contract with Sodexo expired. During the selection process, the committee reviewed proposals from Sodexo, Aramark and Bon Appetit before choosing Bon Appetit as the new partner.
The committee talked to peer institutions already partnered with Bon Appetit when making its decision, and the feedback was positive. The March 21 email reported that several schools, including Carleton College, Oberlin College and Wabash College are pleased with Bon Appetit's services and the freshness and quality of the food served.
The committee also considered the company's willingness to collaborate on the upcoming Hoover Hall construction project.
"We wanted to ensure that the provider that helped design the kitchen aspects of [Hoover Hall] would be the long-term provider for the food," Audra Blasdel, director of community relations and auxiliary services said.
According to the email sent on March 21, Bon Appetit has agreed to collaborate with campus sustainability groups by using the campus farm and other local sources, as well as by looking at ways to increase sustainability. The transition will bring changes in other areas, however, including meal plans and food pricing.
"I don't think it's anything major," Blasdel said. "You'll see the same meal plans exist, with an extra option. It's tweaks."
The extra option will be the residence hall plus plan and will replace the current residence hall plan as the largest available. A flat-rate all you can eat option at the Hub will also be added. For a single price, students will be able to mix and match between the vendors.
The transition to Bon Appetit may also change the dining staff at DePauw. While all non-management employees will be able to keep their jobs and benefits, Sodexo-contracted employees, including Steve Santo and two others, may not make the transition.
"We talked to Bon Apetit and said that all the employees, all the current hourly employees must be offered positions in the new operation," President Brian Casey said. "We have less control over the contractual Sodexo employees."
All current management employees are being interviewed by Bon Appetit.
"DePauw cannot be involved in management team building because of contracts and privacy," Blasdel said. "But Bon Appetit has a representative on campus a lot to make sure they are building best team."
DePauw faculty and staff want the management employees to stay. Recently, an email circulated around the community in support of Steve Santo.
"I know there are a lot of people who'd like to see them stay," Jeff Hansen, professor of chemistry said.
Hansen teaches the Sweet and Savory Science Winter Term course where he works closely with Sodexo employees including Linda Wallace in the Den, Steve Santo and Fred Mildner, chef in the Hub.
"They're not just part of Sodexo," Hansen said. "They're part of the DePauw community as a whole, and, especially in Santo's case, the Greencastle community too."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
From Around the Web
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Volume 163, Issue 44
- Editorial cartoon
- EDITORIAL: Ben Solomon, ’10 awarded with Pulitzer Prize for Ebola coverage
- Little 5 results—Alpha Phi and Delta Upsilon sweep, students seen as...
- DePauw’s campus meal plan evolving—students voice concerns
- DePauw University senior artists say goodbye to Peeler Art Center
- MKTO concert produces mixed student reviews
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now