Car flipped on S Locust, driver arrested
Mormon missionaries said driver crashed while flipping them off
A northbound car flipped onto its top on S. Locust street in between Sigma Chi Fraternity and Gobin Memorial Church Saturday night at about 8:40 p.m.
Two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Scott Brezenski and Myles Anderton, said that the driver crashed while he raised his middle finger towards them while they walked past. The right side of the car hit the curb then ramped up the wire of a telephone pole, launching the car into the air they said. The Honda Civic landed about 20 feet away from the pole in front of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
"We were just walking, and he looked back and flipped us off," said Brezenski, adding the driver was carrying a cigarette in the hand he used to make the gesture. "Then the car flipped 10 to 12 feet in the air."
The driver appeared to be uninjured, and DePauw Public Safety and the Greencastle Police Department were on the scene about five minutes later.
Benjamin Brewer of Bainbridge, Ind., 24, was driving the car, said said Officer Matter Demmings of DePauw Public Safety. He is not a DePauw student, and Demmings said he didn't know why Brewer was in Greencastle.
He blew a .17 blood alcohol content at the scene, Demmings said. That's about two times the legal limit.
Brewer was charged with operating while intoxicated resulting in an accident, and operating per se at .08 percent or above.
Brewer was arrested by Greencastle Police, and was taken to Putnam County Jail.
--Joe Fanelli and Ellen Kobe contributed to this article.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Don ’61 and Barbara Daseke donate $20 million to the Campaign for DePauw
- Man dumped at Putnam County Hospital following I-70 shooting dies
- VIDEO: 2016 Fulbright Winner Interviews
- Softball's perfect conference record shattered
- OPINION: From The Prindle Post:
- OPINION: What's Next?
- OPINION: “Are you a student here?
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere