Car flipped on S Locust, driver arrested
Mormon missionaries said driver crashed while flipping them off
A northbound car flipped onto its top on S. Locust street in between Sigma Chi Fraternity and Gobin Memorial Church Saturday night at about 8:40 p.m.
Two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Scott Brezenski and Myles Anderton, said that the driver crashed while he raised his middle finger towards them while they walked past. The right side of the car hit the curb then ramped up the wire of a telephone pole, launching the car into the air they said. The Honda Civic landed about 20 feet away from the pole in front of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
"We were just walking, and he looked back and flipped us off," said Brezenski, adding the driver was carrying a cigarette in the hand he used to make the gesture. "Then the car flipped 10 to 12 feet in the air."
The driver appeared to be uninjured, and DePauw Public Safety and the Greencastle Police Department were on the scene about five minutes later.
Benjamin Brewer of Bainbridge, Ind., 24, was driving the car, said said Officer Matter Demmings of DePauw Public Safety. He is not a DePauw student, and Demmings said he didn't know why Brewer was in Greencastle.
He blew a .17 blood alcohol content at the scene, Demmings said. That's about two times the legal limit.
Brewer was charged with operating while intoxicated resulting in an accident, and operating per se at .08 percent or above.
Brewer was arrested by Greencastle Police, and was taken to Putnam County Jail.
--Joe Fanelli and Ellen Kobe contributed to this article.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Depauw News Articles
Recent Depauw News Articles
From Around the Web
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
- How to Select the Perfect Ceiling Fan
- How to Make Dating Less Difficult Than It Has to Be
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS