Car flipped on S Locust, driver arrested
Mormon missionaries said driver crashed while flipping them off
A northbound car flipped onto its top on S. Locust street in between Sigma Chi Fraternity and Gobin Memorial Church Saturday night at about 8:40 p.m.
Two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Scott Brezenski and Myles Anderton, said that the driver crashed while he raised his middle finger towards them while they walked past. The right side of the car hit the curb then ramped up the wire of a telephone pole, launching the car into the air they said. The Honda Civic landed about 20 feet away from the pole in front of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
"We were just walking, and he looked back and flipped us off," said Brezenski, adding the driver was carrying a cigarette in the hand he used to make the gesture. "Then the car flipped 10 to 12 feet in the air."
The driver appeared to be uninjured, and DePauw Public Safety and the Greencastle Police Department were on the scene about five minutes later.
Benjamin Brewer of Bainbridge, Ind., 24, was driving the car, said said Officer Matter Demmings of DePauw Public Safety. He is not a DePauw student, and Demmings said he didn't know why Brewer was in Greencastle.
He blew a .17 blood alcohol content at the scene, Demmings said. That's about two times the legal limit.
Brewer was charged with operating while intoxicated resulting in an accident, and operating per se at .08 percent or above.
Brewer was arrested by Greencastle Police, and was taken to Putnam County Jail.
--Joe Fanelli and Ellen Kobe contributed to this article.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The DePauw News Articles
Recent The DePauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DEPAUW NEWS
- First week funnies
- E-edition of the second issue of the 163rd volume of The DePauw
- EDBOARD: Ice Bucket Challenge - Will the donations last when the ‘likes’...
- OPINION: Speculation and declining impressiveness of Apple products
- IFC, Panhellenic keep first-years at arms-length
- Summer Crime at the Inn
- Men's soccer with pair of tough tests to open season
RECENT THE DEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care