Car flipped on S Locust, driver arrested
Mormon missionaries said driver crashed while flipping them off
A northbound car flipped onto its top on S. Locust street in between Sigma Chi Fraternity and Gobin Memorial Church Saturday night at about 8:40 p.m.
Two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Scott Brezenski and Myles Anderton, said that the driver crashed while he raised his middle finger towards them while they walked past. The right side of the car hit the curb then ramped up the wire of a telephone pole, launching the car into the air they said. The Honda Civic landed about 20 feet away from the pole in front of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
"We were just walking, and he looked back and flipped us off," said Brezenski, adding the driver was carrying a cigarette in the hand he used to make the gesture. "Then the car flipped 10 to 12 feet in the air."
The driver appeared to be uninjured, and DePauw Public Safety and the Greencastle Police Department were on the scene about five minutes later.
Benjamin Brewer of Bainbridge, Ind., 24, was driving the car, said said Officer Matter Demmings of DePauw Public Safety. He is not a DePauw student, and Demmings said he didn't know why Brewer was in Greencastle.
He blew a .17 blood alcohol content at the scene, Demmings said. That's about two times the legal limit.
Brewer was charged with operating while intoxicated resulting in an accident, and operating per se at .08 percent or above.
Brewer was arrested by Greencastle Police, and was taken to Putnam County Jail.
--Joe Fanelli and Ellen Kobe contributed to this article.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thedepauw News Articles
Recent thedepauw News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEDEPAUW NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEDEPAUW NEWS
- Issue 22, Volume 163
- EDITORIAL: Day of discussion, M requirement would do DePauw students good
- Recent hospital visits rise wince beginning of year
- DePauw University debate team faces British National Debate Team
- DePauw School of Music students chosen to perform at the White House
- OPINION: The implications of unpaid internships
- DePauw University celebrates Hindu festival, Diwali
RECENT THEDEPAUW CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge